Monday, June 4, 2018

Friends and allies

The next time one of my white girlfriends asks me to meet them for coffee at Starbucks or breakfast at the Waffle House, I’m going to say, “Sure and after that let’s check out a Harvey Weinstein movie or the Bill Cosby show.”

I’m really sick of white people claiming to be my friend but not being an ally. I'm really tired of white friends not attempting to recognize my experience as a black person. Because if you had a clue about who I am or what I've been through, the words Starbucks and Waffle House would not be coming out of your mouth. Not right now.

If you are my friend, I want and need you to acknowledge – not ignore - my blackness. Consider who I am as a person – all of me. The female, the person of color, the sensitive, the ambitious, the smart-assed. Some elements that make up who I am impact how I see and how I am seen.

Considering each other’s unique traits is what friends do. If you’re a big girl, I don’t lead us to the tight little booth at the restaurant. You’ve shared with me the pain of having to sit in tight little booths and being uncomfortable. So I know to consider your physical size and comfort level. And I don’t ask you about it, I just quietly steer us away. I tell the hostess I don’t like that spot, what about this one.

We all should consider the spaces that make our friends uncomfortable. And we all should try to help each other navigate a world that sometimes says we don’t fit in, we don’t belong.  

That’s what friends do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When the police were called on me for looking at someone

Did I ever tell you about the time my upstairs neighbor called the police on me because I dared to look at her, and then record her, from in...